We would like to take on and operate Lumps Fort building as a community café and community cinema themed to the heritage of the fort – with particular regard to the Cockleshell Heroes.
We are the Portsmouth Film Society (PFS) which started in 2010. Initially to fill a gap in the film provision in Portsmouth, we have built a strong reputation for presenting the best in world and specialized cinema exhibition over the years.
In response to Portsmouth City Council’s (PCC) tender for Lumps Fort on the Southsea seafront which was issued on 05 Nov 2018, PFS has expressed interest in entering into a long-term contract to open a multi-purpose Community Cinema and Arts Centre.
Whilst we are participating in a competitive process and will not know if we are successful until 2019, we are proposing a family friendly centre in Southsea to complement existing Canoe Lake and seafront offerings. The centre would also fill a need expressed by local artists, business people and educators for a venue to host smaller events without having to leave the island, as no such venue exists in Portsmouth today.
Dana Hamdan – Architectural Floor plans and images
The proposed 70 seat capacity centre would include a multipurpose theatre and:
- a community resource for regular screening of films as well as for meetings and private parties
- a conference/classroom facility for PFS to run educational workshops, which will be available for hire
- an exhibition space for local artists which doubles as a reception area available for hire
- an upmarket cafe operated by Garage Lounge that will provide secondary income
- a family friendly soft play area
- and a permanent home for the Portsmouth Film Society, providing a stable foundation for our charity
- a new space will be for the local community use
Please show your support for the proposed multi-purpose Southsea Community Cinema and Arts Centre which, if we are successful in our bid, would be a great asset to the community, as well as provide a regular home for PFS to grow.
Please support us for our Crowdfunding GOFundMe
Portsmouth City Council changed the terms of the building and they put the building tender again. If PFS is selected as the preferred vendor after the retender, PCC will work in partnership with PFS to pursue the grants most likely to succeed. PCC will provide guidance but PFS will be responsible for writing the grants. The new time-table is for the project:
- Notification of preferred bidder – Tuesday 4th June 2019
- Standstill period ends – 23:59 on Friday 14th June 2019
- Exclusivity Agreement awarded by – Friday 28th June 2019
- Exclusivity periods starts – Monday 1st July 2019